Basically, it’s a series of improvements designed to enhance the ‘multiplayer experience’. The primary component of the Update is Server Merges (so yes, it’s basically a fancy name for Server Merges). They’re merging the Servers to bring more players together which in turn increases queue pops which should improve the multiplayer experience for multiplayer players.
To accommodate the Server Merges, the Developers have made a substantial investment in hardware, software, and network infrastructure to dramatically improve our service and improve gameplay quality.
But the Update doesn’t just include Server Merges. It also encompasses a variety of quality of life improvements to the game itself aimed at, again, enhancing the multiplayer experience and includes brand new multiplayer content.
United Forces will be rolled out over a series of ‘updates’. Here is how it will work:
October 10th (Game Update 5.5) – The first stage will be backend underlying foundational structural changes needed to prepare for Server Merges and some quality of life changes. October 24th – On this day, the game will be unavailable for an extended time as they set up for the Server Merges, replacing existing hardware and software with all the new Game Servers and supporting components.
- November 8th – Everyone moves to their new Servers. There will be extended downtime as they make the final improvements to the Server environments. The new Servers are listed below.
|Existing Servers||New United Forces Server|
|Satele Shan (formerly 'The Hot Prospect') (North America - West Coast*)|
|Star Forge (North America - East Coast)|
|Darth Malgus (Europe – English)|
|The Leviathan (Europe – French)|
|Tulak Hord (Europe – German)|
*The West Coast Datacentre got closed down and moved to the East Coast Datacentre in Virgina as part of the October 24th Maintenance. There are no longer any West Coast Servers. Only two East Coast Servers.
- November 28th – (Game Update 5.6) – More Quality of Life Changes including a revamp to Groupfinder and content for all play styles.
There will also be rewards offered to players who log in and complete certain activities between the 8th and 28th of November.
- Simply log in to play to get the new Mini Mogul NM-1 Mini-Pet, inspired by one of our classic Operation bosses, Karagga the Unyielding.
- Earn the merciless Darth Hexid Companion when you complete three PvE or three PvP missions through Group Finder by the November 27th deadline!
- Plus, unlock the new ‘United Forces Group Recon’ achievement when you complete three PvE Group Finder activities and get the new ‘United Forces Warzone Recon’ achievement when you complete three PvP matches through Group Finder!
- Finally, once United Forces goes live, get double rewards: Double XP, Double Command XP, and much more through November 14!
- NOTE: All achievements are unlocked in-game as earned. The Mini Mogul Mini-Pet and Darth Hexid Companion are delivered via in-game mail on November 28, 2017.
Quality of Life Improvements
As part of the United Forces Update, we will be getting quite a few Quality of Life improvements designed to enhance the multiplayer experience some of which I’ve listed below.
- Group Finder Revamp – Significant upgrades to how you queue for multiplayer and solo activities – huge bonuses for all Random play choices, but also allows for easy selection of individual activities such as Daily Areas, Flashpoints, and Operations. Coming in Game Update 5.6.
Legacy Perk – For each character that reaches Command Rank 300, we will automatically add an additional 25% bonus CXP to your entire Legacy up to a maximum of 100%. You do need to purchase the initial 25% perk, but the additional 75% will be free. And, YES, this Perk is retroactive, so you will immediately benefit. This change came into effect in Game Update 5.5. Note that you get the 25% CXP bonus for each mirror class at rank 300.
- Legacy-wide Currency – Credits and Unassembled Components will become Legacy-wide in Game Update 5.6.
- Galactic Command upgraded disintegrate system – this QoL improvement changes how ‘disintegrate’ works and instead of CXP gives you legacy-bound Unassembled Components. This change is coming in Game Update 5.6.
New Multiplayer Content
We will also be getting new multiplayer content as part of the United Forces Update. All new Content listed below is scheduled for release in Game Update 5.6.
- A new Flashpoint – Set on Copero (a Chiss planet) that continues the story from the Crisis on Umbara Flashpoint.
- A new Operation Boss: NAHUT – The third Boss in the ‘Gods of the Machine’ Operation.
- A new PvP Map – Set on Yavin IV it will have an Alderaan Civil War ruleset and a cross-faction queue.
- A new GSF Map – Set above the planet Iokath.
To learn more about Server Merges, you can read my article Everything you need to know about SWTOR’s Upcoming Server Merges.
To read more about what’s coming soon to SWTOR, see my article SWTOR’s Autumn Road Map Overview.