Star Wars The Old Republic is one of the Games taking part in EA’s Play to Give Initiative. So what is it all about?
Basically, it is an initiative by EA built around the concepts that Play and Inclusion. They believe these ideas go hand-in-hand so they are partnering with three charities who support their vision of inclusiveness and celebrating the positive connections we make playing video games.
These are the three Charities EA is partnering with and donating $1 million dollars to their efforts:
- United Nations HeForShe – HeForShe is inviting people around the world to stand together to create a bold, visible force for gender equality. And it starts by taking action right now to create a gender equal world.
- PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center – an organisation helping unite the world by creating safe, inclusive, and accepting communities and online environments
- Ditch the Label – an organisation standing united for a world that is fair, equal and free from all types of bullying
EA are offering rewards through select Games that players can earn this weekend (June 2nd-June 4th) to celebrate this initiative.
It is nice to see a gaming corporation like EA take these steps in recognising these issues. SWTOR is probably the most inclusive gaming community I’ve ever been a part of. It isn’t perfect of course but compared to other online gaming communities it is pretty inclusive. Any initiative to spread awareness of inclusiveness, gender equality and bullying is very welcome!
How do you take part in SWTOR?
To participate in Play to Give in SWTOR, dubbed the Galactic Defender Event, login between Friday, June 2 through Sunday, June 4 and group up for various in-game content such as:
- Player-vs-Player Combat
- Galactic Starfighter
- World Bosses
- Story missions
- Heroic missions
What do players get for participating?
- All players who log in during the Play to Give campaign receive the new ‘PL-2G Defender’ Battle Droid mini-pet.
- Plus, if players join with 1 or more friends in 1 million or more total group activities across the SWTOR galaxy, all players who log in during the Play to Give campaign will also receive the ‘Galactic Defender’ in-game title!